Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wedding bells on the (far) horizon

It's true, I'm engaged. I asked L to marry me a couple weeks ago. We had a nice little picnic by the lake and I don't think either of us stopped smiling for a couple hours straight. I had a ring made for her by a craftswoman on Etsy. I thought I would melt right away when she put it on and told me she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me.

We decided that I needed a ring too. (I could go on and on here about gender roles in female same-sex couples, but I'll save that for another post.) L had really wanted me to surprise her with her ring (which I did), and she wanted to surprise me with mine too.

Last week we were making dinner after getting home from work - grilled cheese sandwiches, one of our favorite comfort foods - and L brought the plates over to the table. There was something non-food-like on my plate. A little black box with a familiar looking ribbon. I opened it to see that L had gotten me a ring by the same designer. It's a blue iolite stone. It looks black in the picture here, but it's really a deep, dark blue. I love having the ring on my finger - it's a constant reminder of the life together we have ahead of us.

Okay, so you probable want to know wedding details. The when, the where, all that. Well, it's all pretty tentative right now, but we're thinking summer of 2010 in the Bay Area (where we'll be living soon!).

2 comments:

Shari said...

Oh my God! Congratulations!!!

Rachel said...

Hey, thanks!

Also, you get special props for being the first person to comment on my blog.