Friday, September 26, 2008

A President Just Like Me

When did successful campaigning for president of the US turn into an 'Everyman' contest? The gold standard for candidates has become being seen as just another guy, someone who might be your next door neighbor, someone folksy and down-home and plain.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, showing myself to be squarely in the fringes of society, but I don't want a president who is just like me. I don't want a president who is average. I don't want a president who is folksy and ordinary and guy-next-door.

I want a president who is smart, and shows it. I want a president who is capable, not affable. I want a president who thinks in complexities, not sound bites. I mean, for the most powerful person in the world, shouldn't we ask a bit more?

1 comment:

The closet dieter said...

I just read a myspace blog from a sort-of friend who ranted for just the opposite in a president. Thanks for being a voice of reason!